Partitioning DDS Tapes

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Partitioning DDS Tapes
# 1  
Old 05-22-2006
Partitioning DDS Tapes

Does anyone know how to partition 4mm DDS tapes in any flavor of UNIX besides HP-UX? My HP-UX box died and I have bunch of backup tapes with two partitions on them and I can't figure out how to read the second partition using other kinds of UNIX.

Thanks in advance,
Darren
# 2  
Old 05-23-2006
Don't post the same topic in multiple forums! Didn't you read the rules? Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Testing the dds tape drive on AIX

Hi I need to make some restore tapes for our old AIX systems I have purchased some DDS2 tapes and cleaning tapes The tape drive is rmt0 what commands can I enter to run the cleaning tape through the drive and are the any commands I can enter to test these drives prior to using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmacher
2 Replies

2. AIX

Cleaning tape frequence for DDS

Hi All, Are there recommendations about the use of cleaning tapes in DDS devices? Should I clean the tape only when the drive indicates cleaning? Should I clean it once a month, week, even every day? Is it harmful to clean the tape every day? Thanks for your insights. --Peter (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need some information about Pacs and DDS Packets

Good Morning, All, I need to know what are PACs and DDS Packets in Unix and whats its advantage? Please help me in understanding this or refer me to some material so that I can have a better understanding of it. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samohd
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with DDS data tape

Hi all I have BIG headache with an old unix server I have and I need some help and ideas how to solve them effectively. Thanks in advance ***Story*** I have an OLD SCO OpenServer 5 release 5 server with DDS4 tape device. I also have a box full of DDS4 tapes with data inside. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaos83_2000
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP Unix 10.20 DDS Tape Driver Corruption

Dear Experts and Advanced User, I encounter a rare problem as mentioned above. I am not able to read the tape cartridge using the following command: #dd if=/dev/rmt/0mnb ibs=16k | tar tvf - It will prompt me with the message saying DD I/O error, broken pipe; everytime the above command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stufftiger
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Copy Tape Drive DDS-01.

Hello, I am trying to copy a boot tape DDS-01 with miniroot, but i donīt get this copy. i have already used the command dd, but donīt work. There are other way to get it. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: carelias
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DDS-2 Sun tape drive

Hey guys, I'm trying to mount a SUN DDS-2 tape drive on a SUN Ultra 80 machine running Solaris 9. I had the SCSI drive connected at time of install, I'm very new to Solaris so I don't know if Solaris would detect the drive like that and install some form of device driver. But, what im posting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partitioning DDS Tapes

Does anyone know how to partition 4mm DDS tapes in any flavor of UNIX besides HP-UX? My HP-UX box died and I have bunch of backup tapes with two partitions on them and I can't figure out how to read the second partition using other kinds of UNIX. Thanks in advance, Darren (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhaverstick
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DDS Tape Drives

How do I find if a server contains a DDS3 or a DDS2 drive remotely ? I checked in SMIT and I noticed the description field according to tape drives, but is there another more thorough way? Thanks, Luke (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skywlkr235
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

from dos dir a: to similar to a dds tape?

is it possible to see what is in a dds tape? like in dos, we can write dir a: to see the contents of it? thanks PS : actually, i came from a DOS background. so most of the time, i will try to relate unix to dos. of course, dos never came close to unix. but unix is like many instances of dos... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question