piping oracle output to a file?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting piping oracle output to a file?
# 1  
Old 07-23-2006
piping oracle output to a file?

Hi All...

Does anyone know how to pipe the output of a "select" statement from a call to Oracle to a file?

ANy ideas woule be greatly appreciated!

Code is as below...

echo "producing CSV file 2..."
sqlplus -s $username/$password@$database<<EOF

set serveroutput on size 1000000
set verify off
set feedback off
set pagesize 0
VARIABLE vi_err NUMBER

SELECT empno||','||ename||','||job||','||mgr||hiredate||','||sal||','||comm||','||deptno FROM emp;
EXIT:vi_err
EOF
# 2  
Old 07-24-2006
spool

Why dont you spool the output to a file
Code:
set serveroutput on size 1000000
set verify off
set feedback off
set pagesize 0
spool filename
VARIABLE vi_err NUMBER

SELECT empno||','||ename||','||job||','||mgr||hiredate||','||sal||','||comm||','||deptno FROM emp;
spool off
EXIT:vi_err
EOF

# 3  
Old 07-24-2006
If you want to use redirection to a file ..try this.Now testing.dat will have the sql output.

X=`sqlplus -s user/pwd@host<<eof
set serveroutput on;
set feedback off;
set linesize 1000;
select * from table where rownum<5;
EXIT;
eof`

echo $X>testing.dat
# 4  
Old 07-24-2006
Thanks!

Cheers lads! v useful tips.

I also found another way... as below.

{
echo "set pagesize 0"
echo "SELECT empno||','||ename||','||job||','||mgr||hiredate||','||sal||','||comm||','||deptno "\
"FROM emp;"
} | sqlplus -s $username/$password@$database >> $root_dir/$csv_file1

Kind Regards

Satnam
# 5  
Old 07-28-2006
hi satnam.. is there a way not to mention the user name and pasword in the script. i have a requirement like this. i have to run a sql query using shell scripts. once the query is run, the results have to be stored in a data file. if any values are returned by the query, it should display an error msg to the user or else it has to exit. pls help me with this as i am totally new to shell scripting and i just started to learn..
# 6  
Old 05-04-2007
Please explain this code snippet to me

Hi all,
I am new to shell scripting and want to know how this code works.

{
echo "set pagesize 0"
echo "SELECT empno||','||ename||','||job||','||mgr||hiredate||','||sal||','||comm||','||deptno "\
"FROM emp;"

Thanks in advance.
# 7  
Old 05-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelc
Hi all,
I am new to shell scripting and want to know how this code works.

{
echo "set pagesize 0"
"FROM emp;"

Thanks in advance.
Code:
{
  echo "...
} | sqlplus

basically collects all of the "echo" command's output as a group and they are piped through to Oracle's sqlplus command processor. So it behaves just like running sqlplus interactively and you typing in those commands.

Code:
>> $root_dir/$csv_file1

directs the output from the SQL commands to a file on the UNIX server. The path and filename are in variables $root_dir and $csv_file.

Ultimately, the SQL is building a csv (comma delimited) file that will be used for, presumably, as an input to another system.

Thomas
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Abnormality while piping tr command output to sed

i have a file seperated each line seperated by newline. For example alpha beta gamma i am trying to replace the newlines to "," but dont want , present at the end of the line so i am trying the below one liner . but not sure whats wrong but its not working cat myfile | tr -s '\n' ',' | sed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output of ls to a text file

Basically I was wondering if any of you know how to pipe the output of ls to a text file? so in my shell script one of the lines is ls but i want to pipe it into a file called directory listing. Cheers. I have tried ls | Directorylisting.txt but it keeps saying " line 7: DirectoryListing.txt:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxNubBrah
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help piping the output from an app... uh, yeah...

Ok, so there is a perl script that runs as a server, on my local host. It tells me which port to use. I want to pipe that output into my browser so I can do the whole thing with a single command. The problem is, I think, that the program doesn't actually exit cause it's running a server, so...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjaaron
6 Replies

4. Fedora

Piping output of "top" to a text file

I would like to pipe "top -n" to a text file, but I get an error: top: cannot open /dev/kmem kvm_open: Permission denied I am a non-root user. If I could find a way to get this type of output: "Memory: 2048M real, 1516M free, 4099M swap free" into a text file, I could further automate... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: safraser
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping and assigning output to a variable in Perl

Hi All, I am trying to convert the below Csh code into Perl. But i have the following error. Can any expert help ? Error: ls: *tac: No such file or directory Csh set $ST_file = `ls -rt *$testid*st*|tail -1`; Perl my $ST_file = `ls -rt *$testid*st*|tail -1`; (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output from PHP file into variable

Hi. I have a script like so: #!/bin/bash download='php /var/www/last.php' echo $download if $downloadHow do I pipe the output of the php file into a variable, as when i run the if statement, it just echos the file output to the screen and does not actually consider the output (it will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daydreamer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output of tail running in background

Not sure why this does not work in bash: tail -f err.log |& -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&' I am attempting to continuously read a file that is being updated by doing a "tail -f" on the file and piping the output to stdin which can then be read by the next shell command Thnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuramdas
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output to echo

Hi, I was wondering why ls * | echo does not print the contents of the directory to the screen? The way I see it, ls * returns a whole lot of information, and then we pipe all this info to echo, so surely it should all come to our screen! Is there a serious flaw in my understanding? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A1977
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

piping the output of find command to grep

Hi, I did not understand why the following did not work out as I expected: find . -name "pqp.txt" | grep -v "Permission" I thought I would be able to catch whichever paths containing my pqp.txt file without receiving the display of messages such as "find: cannot access... Permisson... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output to while read

Hi. Im using cat to output the contents of a file, then piping it to my while read loop.In this loop variables get assigned values. However when i try to use the variables outside the loop their values has been reset.I understand about subshells etc. but I have no idea how to "preserve" the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultimodiablo
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question