How to insert text into first line of the file and middle of the file?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to insert text into first line of the file and middle of the file?
# 1  
Old 03-05-2007
How to insert text into first line of the file and middle of the file?

Script 1
Pre-requisites
Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice.

Write a script that takes two arguments. The first being a line of text, the second being your newly created file. The script should take the first argument and insert it into the very top (the first line) of the file named in your second argument.

Note! The file must retain the original name

Script 2

Take a copy (backup) and amend the above script so that it now inserts the first argument into the middle of the file.
# 2  
Old 03-05-2007
No homework questions please. Read the rules. Rule #6 in particular. Thread locked.
# 3  
Old 03-05-2007
How to add string(without sed&awk )to first line of the file and middle of the file?

Script 1
Pre-requisites
Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice.

Write a script that takes two arguments. The first being a line of text, the second being your newly created file. The script should take the first argument and insert it into the very top (the first line) of the file named in your second argument.

Note! The file must retain the original name

Script 2

Take a copy (backup) and amend the above script so that it now inserts the first argument into the middle of the file.
# 4  
Old 03-05-2007
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert a line in a text file

I want to insert a line with text after the 9th line of a text file. How would I do this using sed or awk? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text in the middle of a file?

Hi, So far i've made a script that takes two argument, 1st is the contents and the 2nd is the named file. At the moment i've managed to insert new contents as a new line at the top, but i want to ask how can you insert contents in the middle of the file? Source Code #!/bin/bash #Write... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen10
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I insert a line in the middle of a file in BASH?

I have tried sed '/6/a text_to_inserted' file > newfile but this inserts test_to_insert at random places in file and i want it in specific location, which is line 6. can anyone help.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phenom
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add a single line to middle of text file.

I've got a configuration file that is filled with xml text statements for example: <...../> <...../> <...../> <data id="java-options" value="-server -Djava.security.policy..../> <...../> <...../> <...../> I want to write a korn shell script that will go to this specific line and add a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert text in the middle of a file

Hey guys, how do we take a line of text as an argument from a user and then insert it in the middle of a file irrespective of the number of lines in the file. I am trying to do this without SED or AWK. Inserting it in the beginning and at the end is easy, but i am trying to accomplish inserting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikkumar84@g
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text in the middle of a file

I want to insert a text into the middle of a file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: relle
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text file at a certain line.

I need to insert a file called temp_impact (which has about 15 lines in it) to a file called 11.23cfg starting at line 33. I searched the forums and found the sed '34i\ test' 11.23cfg > newfile That will enter word test at the appropriate line, but i need the entire file dumped there. Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into the middle of a original file

how do u insert text into a specific place in a file, say the middle for example, without changing the name for that file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mopimp
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question