Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ping the hostname of many servers using a script Post 302587037 by frappa on Wednesday 4th of January 2012 02:43:07 AM
Old 01-04-2012
Hi,

how should the script report the downed servers? (email, log file, a message on the screen,...)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Script to ping servers in a file

I would like to ping a list of servers in a text file. Can anyone help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gbarkhor
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to ping servers

Hi , I would like to automate a script to ping all the unix servers perodically thru cronjob. Is there any script out there? If so Please give me. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
2 Replies

3. Solaris

cannot ping by hostname

Hi All, My current setup is: 1x Windows Server (Windows 2000 server) 1x Unix Server 2x Windows machine 3x Unix Terminals (Hostnames = A, B and C) Problem The problem iam having is Unix terminal C cannot be ping across by Unix terminal A or B or Unix server by using the hostname. Unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tlee
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Can't ping using hostname on Solaris 10

I recently installed Solaris 10 on my Sun workstation. I cannot ping using hostname from another computer on the same network. But I can ping using the IP address. Also I can ping other systems using their hostnames. Can anyone give some information regarding how to resolve this issue. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha123
4 Replies

5. AIX

Ping by hostname

Hello everyone I have a partition with a problem with ping. If I do a ping by ip for example ping 1.1.1.1 I got no problem but If I ping by hostname for example ping partition1 take almost a minute to respond me. I have Aix 5.3 and I have another 19 partitions with no problem. The only... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping by hostname not working

anyone ever seen this problem: I can ping the server by IP address but I can't by hostname. nslookup is working and dns query is ok. # nslookup mwxnsb24 Server: 10.11.49.206 Address: 10.11.49.206#53 Name: mwxnsb24 Address: 10.10.58.175 # ping... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to ping the servers and rename the output file each time the script is ran

HI, I have a file serverlist in that all host names are placed. i have written a small script #./testping #! /bin/bash for i in `cat serverlist` do ping $i >> output.txt done so now it creates a file output.txt till here fine.. now each time i run this script the output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeva
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Ping Servers

Hey, It's me again! Still trying to learn to become a better scripter on the job :) New challenge for assistance, if anyone cares to help, and its two parted! First part, I wanted to create a script at work that would ping a server that was supplied in an argument, then a count (amount of times)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping script to list of servers

Hi Friends, I have experience in redhat/ Ubuntu OS, but I am very new to solaries os. my servers OS is Oracle Solaris 10 8/11 s10x_u10wos_17b X86. I have a file contains 200 servers IPs one by one. now I want a script to chaeck which IPs are pinging, not pingning. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to ping multiple servers

Hi I did the following script to ping multiple servers, but I keep on receiveing duplicate emails for one server that is down: #!/bin/bash date cat /var/tmp/servers.list | while read output do ping -c 1 "$output" > /dev/null if ; then echo "node $output is up" else ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
10 Replies
LR_LOG2MAIL.IN(1)					  LogReport's Lire Documentation					 LR_LOG2MAIL.IN(1)

NAME
lr_log2mail - send a report generated from a log file by email SYNOPSIS
lr_log2mail [options] service addresses... lr_log2report --version lr_log2report --help [dlf-converters|output-formats|report-templates] OPTIONS
--help [section] If no argument is given, prints usage information and exits. Argument can be one of the following: dlf-converters Prints the list of available DLF converters and exits. output-formats Prints the list of available output formats and exits. report-templates Prints the list of available report templates and exits. --version Prints Lire's version and exits. --output-format|-o output format Selects the ouput format in which to generate the report. --template name Uses the report configuration named name to generate the report. --log-file logfile Selects the log file that should be processed instead of STDIN. --subject|-s subject Sets the subject of the email message. Defaults to 'Your format report'. --extra-file file An additional text file that will be sent along the report. If the output format is txt, it will be appended to the report. DESCRIPTION
The lr_log2mail command is similar to the lr_log2report(1) command with the difference that the report is sent by email. The log file is read from STDIN or from the file specified using the --log-file option. The format of the log file is specified using the dlf_converter argument. Use the --help-dlf-converters option to get a list of all currently available DLF converters. All remaining arguments are interpreted as email addresses to which to send the report. In case the log is passed in a compressed format, it's uncompressed on the fly, using gzip(1). The report will be encapsulated in a MIME email appropriate for the output format. For example, ASCII reports will be sent inline, PDF reports will be sent as a file attachment and HTML reports should appear inline in a HTML-capable mail reader. The From and Reply-To headers in the outgoing emails are set to the values of the lr_mail_from and lr_mail_replyto configuration variables. EXAMPLE
% lr_log2mail -s "bind8 report" bind8_query root "Joe User <joe@example.com>" < /var/log/query.log SEE ALSO
lr_log2report(1), lr_xml2report(1), lr_xml2mail(1), lire(1), lire(7), documentation in the Lire User Manual AUTHORS
Joost van Baal <joostvb@logreport.org> Francis J. Lacoste <flacoste@logreport.org> VERSION
$Id: lr_log2mail.in,v 1.60 2006/07/23 13:16:33 vanbaal Exp $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Stichting LogReport Foundation LogReport@LogReport.org This program is part of Lire. Lire is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. Lire 2.1.1 2006-07-23 LR_LOG2MAIL.IN(1)