Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alias's & Functions - simple question Post 31071 by kornshellmaven on Thursday 31st of October 2002 03:36:45 PM
Old 10-31-2002
Sorry - unalias, unset -f are not what I'm looking for -
Am looking to invoke the original command and not invoke the alias or function as a "one shot"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

a very simple question (but i don't know)

how to write a program that receive a string from keyboard and then print it out. i write a program: main() { char str; gets(str); printf(str); } but when i compile it, the system said something like "new line is not last charicter" and sometime the system said "a3.c is up to date"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'find' command question

my solaris text talks about the 'find' command... it further goes to talk about an "action" used with the find command. I am completely confused as to what the {} do with the find comand. the explanation is this: "A set of braces, {}, delimits where the file name is passed to the command from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is with the '&'.

Hi Gurus, I would appreciate if someone could enlighten this newbie as to how significant the '&' is to unix. Currently I am getting around to writing a script which has to deal with a lot of these ampersands either as starting chars or between chars. Please find below the simpliest way that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: buRst
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing directories (i'm sure there is a simple solution for this)

I just want to exit my script in a new directory from a bash shell. Problem is that the script internally changes to the directory I want to move to, however when exits is still in the original directory. Does that make sense? ie usage: goto null changing from /usr/bin/xtra/test/test3/ ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Further question on 'ifconfig' output

I asked a similar question earlier and got a very good answer but a new doubt came up. This is a few lines of a '/sbin/ifconfig' command on my PC: RX packets:3781025 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:1941909 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 Does the RX and TX packets... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mint1981
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

here's how i did a very simple install of invidia drivers

ok i got the nvida drivers for mandrake9 rpm there is 3 rpms you must have glx ,kernel and something else email me if you want the precompiled drivers :: email removed :: once i got the drivers in stalled then i reseted the computer then i put the 1cd of mandrake9 in and did a upgrade i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias a simple ls -l command

how do I alias the following command: ls -l |egrep 'drw|dr-|d--|d-w' The alias command needs single quotes and so does the above command, so this does not work: alias LSDIR 'ls -l |egrep 'drw|dr-|d--|d-w' ' My problem is how do I get a listing of only directories? Solaris 8 SUN Ultra 10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Simple question: alias not working for root

OS = Solaris 8 Issue: alias not working for root, but working for regular users # grep root /etc/passwd root:x:0:1:Super-User:/:/sbin/sh # alias dir=ls # dir dir: not found # alias dir="ls -l" # dir dir: not found # alias dir='ls -l' # dir dir: not found # alias... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple .sh and alias or ? whatever. Do backup!

Hi , Using bash shell (mintty) in cygwin/windows env. for some time and having issues with most basic commands. Will be quite easy to get er done once I know how , just like magic tricks. I need either alias OR shell script to change windows to posix path AND put that line back -input OR .cd to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sircuts
2 Replies
command(1)							   User Commands							command(1)

NAME
command - execute a simple command SYNOPSIS
command [-p] command_name [argument...] command [-v | -V] command_name DESCRIPTION
The command utility causes the shell to treat the arguments as a simple command, suppressing the shell function lookup. If the command_name is the same as the name of one of the special built-in utilities, the special properties will not occur. In every other respect, if command_name is not the name of a function, the effect of command (with no options) will be the same as omitting command. The command utility also provides information concerning how a command name will be interpreted by the shell. See -v and -V. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -p Performs the command search using a default value for PATH that is guaranteed to find all of the standard utilities. -v Writes a string to standard output that indicates the path or command that will be used by the shell, in the current shell execu- tion environment to invoke command_name, but does not invoke command_name. o Utilities, regular built-in utilities, command_names including a slash character, and any implementation-provided functions that are found using the PATH variable will be written as absolute path names. o Shell functions, special built-in utilities, regular built-in utilities not associated with a PATH search, and shell reserved words will be written as just their names. o An alias will be written as a command line that represents its alias definition. o Otherwise, no output will be written and the exit status will reflect that the name was not found. -V Writes a string to standard output that indicates how the name given in the command_name operand will be interpreted by the shell, in the current shell execution environment, but does not invoke command_name. Although the format of this string is unspecified, it will indicate in which of the following categories command_name falls and include the information stated: o Utilities, regular built-in utilities, and any implementation-provided functions that are found using the PATH variable will be identified as such and include the absolute path name in the string. o Other shell functions will be identified as functions. o Aliases will be identified as aliases and their definitions will be included in the string. o Special built-in utilities will be identified as special built-in utilities. o Regular built-in utilities not associated with a PATH search will be identified as regular built-in utilities. o Shell reserved words will be identified as reserved words. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: argument One of the strings treated as an argument to command_name. command_name The name of a utility or a special built-in utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Making a version of cd that always prints out the new working directory exactly once cd() { command cd "$@" >/dev/null pwd } Example 2: Starting off a ``secure shell script'' in which the script avoids being spoofed by its parent IFS=' ' # The preceding value should be <space><tab><newline>. # Set IFS to its default value. unalias -a # Unset all possible aliases. # Note that unalias is escaped to prevent an alias # being used for unalias. unset -f command # Ensure command is not a user function. PATH="$(command -p getconf _CS_PATH):$PATH" # Put on a reliable PATH prefix. # ... At this point, given correct permissions on the directories called by PATH, the script has the ability to ensure that any utility it calls is the intended one. It is being very cautious because it assumes that implementation extensions may be present that would allow user func- tions to exist when it is invoked. This capability is not specified by this document, but it is not prohibited as an extension. For exam- ple, the ENV variable precedes the invocation of the script with a user startup script. Such a script could define functions to spoof the application. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of command: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. PATH Determine the search path used during the command search, except as described under the -p option. EXIT STATUS
When the -v or -V options are specified, the following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 The command_name could not be found or an error occurred. Otherwise, the following exit values are returned: 126 The utility specified by command_name was found but could not be invoked. 127 An error occurred in the command utility or the utility specified by command_name could not be found. Otherwise, the exit status of command will be that of the simple command specified by the arguments to command. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), type(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 command(1)