difference between patches and packages

Operating Systems Solaris difference between patches and packages
# 1  
Old 04-12-2009
difference between patches and packages

Hi,
Can anyone what is the major difference between patch and packages. Both are used to update/add files and directories to the existing one. Correct me if am wrong.

/var/sadm/install/contents - contains all the installed package information. Is there is any file for patch information.
rogerben
# 2  
Old 04-12-2009
the package adds content (driver, binary, ...) to the os. the patch updates the files if needed.
# 3  
Old 04-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNuke2
the package adds content (driver, binary, ...) to the os. the patch updates the files if needed.

Thanks for your reply. Even patch also add binaries right(correct me if am wrong.) Also do you know where the information about the intstalled patches will found
rogerben
# 4  
Old 04-12-2009
installed patches: "showrev -p"
# 5  
Old 04-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerben
/var/sadm/install/contents - contains all the installed package information. Is there is any file for patch information.
This /var/sadm/install/contents files isn't the only file that contains package information. Package information is also under /var/sadm/pkg.

Patch information is also under /var/sadm/pkg.

These files and directories are uncommited interfaces so you'd better stick to supported commands like pkginfo, showrev -p/patchadd -p.
# 6  
Old 04-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
This /var/sadm/install/contents files isn't the only file that contains package information. Package information is also under /var/sadm/pkg.

Patch information is also under /var/sadm/patch.

These files and directories are uncommited interfaces so you'd better stick to supported commands like pkginfo, showrev -p/patchadd -p.
minor typo Smilie
# 7  
Old 04-12-2009
Sorry, no typo.

Patch information is as I wrote stored under /var/sadm/pkg. /var/sadm/patch is used to store optional patch backout files.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference of packages

Hello all. I need to know the difference of packages installed on 2 different nodes. I used pkginfo on node1 and sorted it and saved the result to a text file1. Then I used pkginfo on node2 and sorted it aswell and saved the result to a text file2. How can I know the which packages are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies

3. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

4. AIX

List of Installed patches for AIX from given set of patches

I need to find out list of installed patches from given list of patches. I have tried using instfix -f <File containing list of patches> -i -c But I was not able to understand the output of this command. It was like below. bos.perf.tools: :0.0.0.0:?: bos.rte.libc: :0.0.0.0:?: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saurabh Agrawal
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Patches hp-ux

Hi, I donīt have support HP, so I donīt get download patches on itrc. Somebody know a free site to download HP-UX patches? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quimera
3 Replies

6. Slackware

Find Slackware Packages - packages.acl.org.ua

Hi! Let me introduce a project for find and download Slackware packages and browse Slackware repositories. The site provides following features: * Large, daily updated database with RPM, DEB, TGZ, TXZ packages for well-known repositories of the Slackware, Fedora, CentOS, RHEL, Debian,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lystor
2 Replies

7. Solaris

difference between "root" and "usr" packages

Hi, could someone pls enlighten me on the difference between the "root" package and "usr" package? Like in this example: pkginfo -l SUNWGtku | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr) and pkginfo -l SUNWGtkr | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
6 Replies

8. Solaris

OS Patches

Hi, Please let me know how to check all the opearating system patches that were applied on an Sun Solaris machine. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoy
2 Replies

9. Solaris

patches

# /usr/sbin/patchadd -p | grep 119961 Patch: 119961-02 Obsoletes: Requires: Incompatibles: Packages: SUNWsprot Patch: 119961-04 Obsoletes: Requires: Incompatibles: Packages: SUNWsprot I was trying to check if i have the above patch on my system when i got the result as shown above, does this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX patches with incompatible packages

I have a Sun Sparc machine with Solaris 9 on it as oracle server. We added two patches (112233-11: SunOS 5.9:Kernel Patch and 111722-04: SunOS 5.9:MathLibrary(libm)patch). When I prepared the server for Oracle installation, I checked patch with command: $/usr/sbin/patchadd -p | grep <patch_number>.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question